Certain AV Software interfering with WRobot.

Shadow

While trying to help our user gexzilla get his bot setup, I noticed that his antivirus software was preventing many of the files from being run.  I ended up doing a remote access session with teamviewer to work on his computer.  I started with my installer to make sure .net and C++ were up to date (I knew that was a good idea lol) but it turns out they were, he had everything setup right.  When my installer tried to extract the setup files into the directory, it would freeze up and give privilege related, and path or file not found errors.  While I did do testing on my own pc, he did use a version of my installer earlier than alpha 0 which is released here.  Anyhow after just downloading the zip from wrobot.eu and extracting and running update.exe I found out what his problem was, or at least part of it.  His AV (Avast) was quarantining files from the updater (both from my installer and the official zip)  so that was causing the path or file not found errors.  After disabling his AV for 15 minutes I could use my installer and extract all the files ok, but when I clicked install/update on the update.exe an error occured (should have taken ss, dumbass me) that it could not access t.zip or something like that.  In short the updater was not being allowed access to the internet to get the files. (I think)  I checked for a firewall and completely uninstalled avast, and ran everything again, worked perfectly.  Downloaded updated files and all.  However  when you tried to run WRobot.exe the computer would crash.  corrupt file download maybe? Im lost..  Any help is appreciated.

as for AV interfering.

There is not a lot one can do except explain in the install guides and faqs that they need disabled or added with permission to allow to run, since it injects it self.

But the file crashing the computer may be due to the AV corrupting the download when it is downloaded.  I would uninstall w/e av he uses, it sounds like a bad one :(

That's weird. I'm using Avast and running the bot works fine. Doing updates (to the bot) does bring up a warning and runs the program in a sandbox environment, but you just have to wait a few seconds and then choose to proceed with launching the update client normally. 

I did notice while working with my installer and when writing my install tutorial, that if you run update.exe as admin when you are installing for the first time, It does not download all of the files..  But yea im not sure whats going on with avast,

https://www.virustotal.com/file/5444a76d92ad67621ae48fec8375e79d6f76f6e5e478df396cab8cb8ce3391aa/analysis/1356880427/

No problem with avast normaly.

I have try (on windows 8) if you launch update.exe on desktop no problem, but if you launch update.exe on program file you need to use admin mode.

• 2 weeks later...