Distance / Attack range not checked correctly

I am currently trying to use Wrobot on vanilla with a mage for leveling. I am at level 9 at the moment. I tried to use the horde profile of arcangelo

I have set "attack before being attacked" option set..

The bot seems to have some issues detecting the distance between the player and hostile units. It always runs next to the mobs, then stops, faces the target to attack it. But before start casting the hostile units start attacking the player.
Since the spells of the mage have a far wider range, it would be much better to start the attack from a higher distance.

I tried iMage-Basic and Legion Fire mage leveling by BetterSister fight classes. The XML profile I tried has a range of 39 set in the general properties. I tried to change it, but it didn't seem to change anything.

This is a huge problem when sending the bot to hostile npc camps where the bot should act carefully. But this is also a problem when the bot tries to move to a target and comes in range of another hostile npc. In most cases the bot is attacked while moving.

Is this some problem of the fight classes, some wrong setting or some problem in the bot?

Basically the short answer is - the bot is made as a melee bot, not a caster bot, and that forces the bot to try to move even closer to the target each time it casts to end in melee range.

This have been a problem for a loong time now, with every non melee classes.

Sure there are some partly working workarounds, but basically that's the issue, and to my knowledge there are no way to totally remove the melee part in a fightclass

Oh, wow. Good to know. Never imagined that this could be the issue. Thanks for your answer!

But one thing which really seems to be wrong is the "start fighting before being attacked" setting. In the log I see the message "attacking ... before being attacked". In the same moment I see the char stop to focus and fight the spotted mob. But before the attack is initiated the mob becomes agro and attacks the char. To me this seems as the detection range is a bit too low.

Is there anything I can do about the "attack before being attacked issue"? The behavior I see here is a really bottish one. When I use the "Development tools" to check the distance between the mob the char is moving to, the distance is always less than 10 before the log message appears and the char starts focusing.

Is it possible to workaround this using a plugin or something?

Btw. I am currently trying a warrior (lvl 10 at the moment).

Just walked cross some lvl 5 mobs with level 10 char. It started charging the mobs with a distance of 11-12. But this was only working when focussing the mobs manually before. For other mobs the char was passing this did not work even when being next to them with a distance of 11.

Ideas?