Is using a VPN safe for main account?

kallekalas

I play on a server and I want to make a second account to bot with. But I dont want my main account to get banned. Is using a reliable VPN safe? Any suggestions on such a VPN?

Edit. I am a noob when it comes to botting and VPN in general.

Usually yes, that is a safe method to keep your main account.

Some private servers (or at least one) was able to check for hardwarespecific stuff, at least thats what we expect it to be.

To be ultra safe you would bot the bots from a completely different machine, best case scenario even a different router/public ip.

VPNs purpose is to hide your IP address right? Can anyone explain how they are able to see your IP address in the first place? 

I was under the impression that only the ISP can see your full address and without cooperation from the ISP,  no one can see your IP address.

2 hours ago, Macro said:

VPNs purpose is to hide your IP address right? Can anyone explain how they are able to see your IP address in the first place? 

I was under the impression that only the ISP can see your full address and without cooperation from the ISP,  no one can see your IP address.

Sorry that is completely wrong. Droidz could even tell you right now what your IP is.
Not sure if you are trolling though.
https://www.myip.com/

8 hours ago, kallekalas said:

So if I buy a VPN, I run it, and then I can use my bot account? And then when im done, I disable VPN and log on to my main account?

Sounds like a good workflow i guess.

8 hours ago, Macro said:

Partially wrong. Partially right. Yes only the ISP can connect the IP to an actual street adress. It is possible to roughly locate you using your public IP we are talking city scale here, not street. A big NO to your last sentence. Your IP is your footprint in the web. You leave it everywhere. A VPN hides your real ISP IP and instead just simulates a footprint thats not yours.

Edited by Bambo

12 hours ago, Bambo said:

Partially wrong. Partially right. Yes only the ISP can connect the IP to an actual street adress. It is possible to roughly locate you using your public IP we are talking city scale here, not street. A big NO to your last sentence. Your IP is your footprint in the web. You leave it everywhere. A VPN hides your real ISP IP and instead just simulates a footprint thats not yours.

Thank you for the explanation,

someone at work was challenging the idea that hiding your IP would be effective as he thought game companies could not see the full IP address... Which I definitely dismissed but then he made the point that IPs are dynamic and constantly being released and renewed... which if a company flagged an IP address as a potential botter or even banned it, it would result in many false positives as the IP addresses change pretty often. 

11 hours ago, Macro said:

Thank you for the explanation,

someone at work was challenging the idea that hiding your IP would be effective as he thought game companies could not see the full IP address... Which I definitely dismissed but then he made the point that IPs are dynamic and constantly being released and renewed... which if a company flagged an IP address as a potential botter or even banned it, it would result in many false positives as the IP addresses change pretty often. 

Depends on what solution you have.
You can have either static or dynamic IP.
I personally have a static IP. Because i have a server in my livingroom. If i had a dynamic IP, i would have to change the DNS every time i got a new IP.
However. With dynamic IP, you usually have the same IP for ages. You can check the link i wrote above, see if your IP changed from day to day.